Never Say Never

August 10, 2006, is the day my life changed forever.

I was working for an oilfield company, and was at a rig site. When I finished at the site, I drove away in my pick-up truck. The oilfield road joined up with a farm road, but they were separated by trees.

I didn't see the semi truck that was hauling bales on the farm road.

The front of my truck collided with the front of the semi, and the back of my truck ended up under the rear wheels of the semi's trailer.

I was taken by ambulance to the nearest city, but they said my head injury was too severe, and sent the ambulance on to the next, much larger, city.

In the emergency room of the hospital, the doctors told my parents they should tube me, and let me expire, because I'd never wake up.

BUT a neurosurgeon was teaching in the city at the university, and happened to be at the hospital, overseeing some students. He came into my room and said, "if he has a clean tox screen, I'll do whatever I can for him, to save his life."

The surgeon had just been trained to do a new surgery, and the surgery required alot of medications; it required a clean toxicology test. The test would show if any drugs or alcohol had been in my system in the last three months.

The doctors told the surgeon it would be a waste of time, but the tox screen came back clean, and he went ahead with the surgery. He first had to remove blood from my brain.

I was in a coma for months. The doctors told my parents that I would probably never wake up, but if I did, I would never be able to walk or talk.

One day I woke up, and my grandma was sitting there. She went to tell the nurses I was awake, and they didn't believe her at first.

I was in the hospital for several more months, doing alot of physiotherapy.

My parents took me home, even though the doctors advised against it - they said it would be too hard.

I continued with physio. They told me I would never be able to walk, so I pushed myself.

They said I pushed myself too hard, but in two years, I was able to walk with a walker.

I kept on fighting. It took two more years before I was able to walk on my own, thanks to pushing myself so hard.

I started attending my local brain injury society. They helped me alot, with my talking, communicating, and social interaction.

I needed alot of help to be around people. I would get really, really angry and hurt over little things.

I've been on alot of meds since the accident, including anti-depressants, sleeping meds, painkillers, and many others.

I won't be able to work ever again, but I try to find volunteer jobs in my community.

If it wasn't for my family and friends, I never would have gotten this far. They have been through alot of stuff helping me and caring for me.